Thursday, July 02, 2015

Experience on Haemorrhoidectomy & Rectal Perineal repair surgery

  I figured this would be pretty helpful for people wanting to do this procedure / have done it & want to know if what they are experiencing post surgery is normal?


There are many stages for Hemorrhoid sufferers. 3rd stage onward where you have prolapse hemorrhoids  with bleeding involve usually will be prescribed by a Colorectal surgeon to remove it via PPH.  ( the latest method of hemorrhoid removal)


Being unfamiliar with surgeries or things to ask, i fully trusted my doctor/ surgeon 110% on what he will be doing. So i basically had no questions at all. (plus i did google what are the post surgery effect after it )  All stated i would have slight discomfort but will be given painkillers so not to worries & will take 7-10 days for the wound to heal.

Sounds like a minor surgery.


An few hours before surgery, a blood test was done, then i awaited in my ward which i checked in that morning. Doctor wanted to see me 30 mins before surgery but i was already in my surgical gown, so i proceeded on to his clinic in that gown. He asked me if i have any questions before the surgery, I couldn't think of one, so i just said " nope". He told me he would access the situation during the surgery to see what method of removal he would use.Normally he combines conventional
Laser cut method  & PPH for the internal hemorrhoids.  ( Side note : I had Piles  + hemorrhoid + prolapse rectum) Some people may not have the exact condition that I may have ( I will explain why later )

After meething him, i went back to my ward bed and sat around, then nurses came in and ask me to lie down as they would need to pump liquid into my anus to make me clear my bowels from feces.

BOY IT DOESNT FEEELGOOD HAVING LIQUID PUMP INTO YOUR ANUS!!! IT IS AGAINTS GRAVITY

i was told to hold the liquid in as long as i could, but after 5 mins, my lower abdomen began to hurt, SO BAD!!!! that i thought i was gonna have a DIARHOA!

I rushed to the toilet and was sweating and i was releasing the liquid like a flamethrower with that came some feces at the later part after my legs have gone weak and i have turned pale. My prolapse rectum decided to say HI and stick out of my anus,  so i thought i should leave it hanging  there to let the surgeon see later on in the Operating Room.

feeling weakened & drained from the  " diaarhoa" I went back to bed to lie down. Nurses then wheeled my whole bed to the PACU unit ( post anaesthesia care unit), to prep me for anesthetic. In there i was inserted the tube into my veins, anaesthetician had to poke the side of my wrist to let some blood flow out to find the vein on the back of my hand. ( He says my veins are too tiny, i offered him my stronger hand - which is my left, but he says if i insert into that hand, you wont be able to write)

Ok that done, I was being wheeled in my bed into the operating room ( My thoughts : woW so bright !!! so white!! so clean!!! what an opportunity to be able to see this room)

Inside the room , there were more people. I saw the stainless steel table, the cold cold table which at that time feels not tempting to switch to from the bed.

Reluctantly, i went on that cold table, instantly i started shivering, so they gave me a blanket & a hot tube of air which they tuck the tube under my blanket.

Then they said " ok time to sleep" &  injected the anesthetic into my hand, a cold liquid into your veins, running under your skin.

Instantly all turned black!

Somewhere along that black out I was dreaming. I have no memory of what it was about but I was pretty certain i was frightened and it wasn't a sweet dream.

I awoke 1hr ++ after surgery in the PACU unit during some part of that frightening dream, feeeling scared/ lost/  crying / my whole body muscles was shaking, i could not control my body. I hear my own voice in my head asking myself what happened ? where am I? Is it over? I feel I just lost something important/ My butt? my butt feels light/ is it still there? Did they cut my butt?

I hear an annoying BEEPING sound going mad,that annoying beeping sound, what is that? I have a heart rate monitor? THATS MY HEART BEAT?   i realized I was having an oxygen mask on my face, what is going on? To tell the truth, I couldn't talk but i could hear my voice talking in my head.

Nurses all rushed to my side to see what was going on with me as the beeping was alarming them.
They saw I had opened my eyes, but 100% i was still feeling very lost seeing so many faces around me and above me. I was not ok, i was still not able to control my shaking body muscles shivering until my teeth shook! I keep telling myself to calm down, nurses keep telling me its alright, its over.
I just wanted to tell them I'm cold! amidst feeling very drowsy and still not sure where am I.

 When i was no longer shaking and calmed down, they wheeled me back to my ward where my parents were.  Still drowsy I was fighting to keep awake, when i reached the ward, I had this uncomfortable gas near my rectum and i wanted to pass it out. but my butt it was sealed shut with cotton swab & tape the gas just couldn't escape easily. It gave me an uncomfortable sudden sharp pain which made keep wanting to turn to try to release it, but i couldn't turn without help because i was too weak and dizzy.

Moaning in discomfort i keep saying im uncomfortable , there is gas trapped, it cant come out~ for a person feeling drowsy i think this is like the " drunk effect"  it messes with your emotional senses while it makes you are trying to fight the sleepiness. I started crying because I had no way of letting the gas out,  I cried over such a matter , its the side effects of the anaesthetic. Then after that I was thirsty, I wanted water BADLY ( like I have not had water in days feeling) . I wanted to gulp down water, but was told to sip a little just to wet my throat, if not i would puke. Already uncomfortable, i wouldnt want to add puke to the list, so i listened. Then a minute later I wanted to pee, as my bladder felt full. so I was supported to the toilet to try and pee. i squated, i really need to pee, but nothing came out, so i thought i should focus on telling myself  I NEED THE PEE OUT. Dint seem to work, tried making shhhhsssshhhh, dint work , on tap water  and drip my hand under cold water, nothing!

I was feeling sad I could not pee, so I thought maybe it was a false alarm, (Anaesthetic tend to make you unable to pee sometimes )

So i went back to bed, my stomach was SUPER BLOATED IT WAS SOLID HARD, I just keep having gas, made noise to buy medicated oil.

My bladder after an hour decided it was at its limits! I could not pee and was getting worried what is going on with me.

Thus i needed external help by a tube insertion if not my bladder would burst , even so i doubt it will know to work its muscle to pee. ( again hurts like mad,getting things stuffed a place where things are suppose to come out not go in)

successfully removed urine. Awaiting dinner time. I still suffered from stomach bloating, My anus on the other hand is leaking liquids/ blood/ medicine  and staining the hospital bed.

After 7 hours i still could not put liquid into my stomach without vomiting it out again. Needed to have some liquid pumped into my veins to control this action. 30 mins later, i am able to eat a little.


The stay in the hospital was quite pleasant. Nurses checked on me every 4 hours, made sure i did not get fever. Thank you everyone in the hospital for putting up with my screams/ whining >.<!!! For helping me go to toilet and for that nurse whom  i fell asleep on her arm  because my head was too heavy HAHA! Yes i'm drowsy but i am pretty sure my eyes were working, thus i remember.


Checked out of hospital 2nd day. Note I have not pooped.
Thinking  I would be recovering well since i am feeling a little better.
Hell came on day 3.

The total spending for this 1 night stay in hospital was Rm11k + additional Rm1k for post surgery check ups with the surgeon. Medical card covered my expenses.




I did my procedure by a colorectal surgeon from Sunway Medical Centre.http://www.sunwaymedical.com.my/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Read it about Haemorrhoidectomy